Friday, November 13, 2009

Looking for help

---------------------------




Thank goodness I didn't get the help I was looking for in this appeal or we would not have made that last visit to Windfields Farm on Nov 14,2009. The top photo is the sign on Nov 14, 2009 while the second photo is what the sign looked like in May, 2006.

I want to make one last trip to Windfields Farm before it is levelled. Either tomorrow or Sunday I would like to head to Oshawa to pay my respects and get one last look at this beautiful piece of Canadiana. Apparently the last of the mares and foals are being auctioned off in Kentucky any day now. I tried all day to contact the farm but no answer. I am trying to find out if the farm is still accessible to the public. The sign used to say visitors welcome Monday - Sunday (1-3:30 pm). The graves will be preserved in a park but the rest of the farm will become another housing development. I have asked the question on a Windfields facebook page as well. If I make the two hour trip it would take quite a bit to prevent me from entering but I would prefer not to break the law. If anyone knows the answer, please comment here. Monday is the 19th anniversary of the little guy's death and I would like to put a rose on the grave of my childhood hero who won the run for the roses 45 years ago. I will keep you posted on this little quest.

The Star (Toronto) article - you can access 17 nice photos in the article as well - Sad days.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/722053--last-gallop-for-legendary-windfields-farm

My trip(s) to Windfields in 2006.
http://northerndancerblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/chapter-39.html

No comments:

Post a Comment