Sunday, October 27, 2013

Some Random shots from our day at Woodbine for the Pattison Canadian International





Meet Time Alert. We started out our day seeing this guy enjoying a walk in the walking ring under some early afternoon sunshine. His handler said he was a 24 year-old gelding son of Secretariat and I said he looks like he has some Northern Dancer blood as well. He said his dam's sire was The Minstrel one of the Dancer's first big sires. I looked up his pedigree when I got home. It looks like he had a long and successful racing career as well with 14 wins and 15 seconds in 66 starts. Today was also a celebration of Secretariat's win 4o years ago in the International, his last race. It's nice to see an old thoroughbred being treated so well and participating in the celebrations.



Linda with Secretariat's Time Magazine Cover



video of Secretariat winning the 1973 Canadian International - his last race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqliNZvnFoE

The Woodbine infield with the sun shining in


I final got my photo taken with my hero's statue.



The Avelino Gomez statue - "El Perfecto" on of my favorite jocks as a kid



That's Patrick Husbands aboard Battle for Gold the winner of the first race with all his connections in the winner's circle. He just happens to be a great great great grandson of Northern Dancer through Danzig.



even this beautiful grey Tesseron has 3 links to Northern Dancer - two on his dam's side and one on his sire's



Woodbine is a great place to Plane-Spot if you enjoy seeing the Jumbo Jets on final approach to Pearson. No zoom on the second shot it was taken from the Track Apron. I wonder if the horses ever get used to it.



my favorite handicapper Jim Bannon



Loosening up before the big race



this beautifil 4 year-old chestnut filly is the German bred Samba Brazil a 3 times great great granddaughter of Northern Dancer



That's the Dancer's great great grandson Temeraine giving me the eye as he was heading out for the big race with Luis Contreras aboard. The light was fading fast so it was getting hard to keep things in focus and you can't use a flash around the horses.



It's been a long day so I will post my photos and the results of the two big races later. Click on any image to enlarge them.

No comments:

Post a Comment