Saturday, February 26, 2011

Campaign for a Commerative Stamp

------------------------------------------------------------------------


Last week I sent a letter off to the Chairperson of the Canada Post, Stamp Advisory Committee suggesting Northern Dancer deserves consideration on the 50th anniversary of his winning the Kentucky Derby and becoming an instant Canadian hero. It takes a couple of years to process these requests so I wanted to submit it sometime this year for a 2014 stamp.

The above photo from The Toronto Star is one of my favourites and might make a good model for the stamp. It really captures the emotion of that historic event. There are many great portraits of the Dancer that could also be used including the one Trevor Jones did for the cover of my book in 2008. I will try to light a fire under this campaign as we get closer to a decision over the next couple of years and keep you posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment